Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Was Wondering About the Topic

Dear Josh,
I was wondering about the topic that I have chosen to write on.
My topic is symbols and my QI statement is: How are discourse community symbols viewed in different contexts around the world.
I'm not sure about how to answer the other questions though because I'm not really taking a solid stance on an issue. I'm mainly talking about how symbols like the Nazi swastika is looked upon as bad in our society but in Buddhism it's a sign for peace.
Let me know what you think and any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

-Was Wondering About the Topic


Dear WWATT,

First, you have a good starting point because it is something that people will want to talk about and it relates to the rules of expression.

However, to develop the idea into a written essay, follow the small steps carefully to avoid confusion, conflation, and ultimately, frustration.

It sounds like your QUESTION AT ISSUE (a question of interpretation) is something like:

Can the same symbol represent violence and hate in one context but represent peace in another context?

From your email, your answer is clearly 'yes.'

To continue developing the idea, phrase your QI as an analytical question (using 5WH):

How can the same symbol represent violence and hate in one context but represent peace in another context?

Answer this to get your REASON. In doing this, use a link (shared term) between this question (which is simply your assertion phrased as a question) and your answer. As phrased above, the strongest options for linking are:

(same) symbol
representation
context

Additional options:
violence and hate
peace

Once you have an answer, combine your CLAIM and REASON to form an Em.

-Josh G.

No comments: