Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sarah RR2

In the poem, "Theme for English B" by Langston Hughes, the poem is written as a black African American living in Harlem. He has a homework assignment to "go home and write a page tonight, and let that age come out of you-- then, it will be true." I think this is a good assignment to give someone who is 22 (like the narrator). When one is 22 they hopefully have figured out who they are and what their life goals are. Regardless, it's always a good idea to take a step back and assess what makes you, you and realize where you want to go in life, and what you want to become. One can figure out what people in their life matters and makes them happy, and what people in their life aren’t sincere and bring the individual down. When one reflects then they may also realize that they need to rebuild bridges between their family and friends. I think high schools in particular should have retreats. I went to a catholic school and we went on one every year. It is a good experience for everyone to open up to their classmates and reassess who you really are.

3 comments:

Stu said...

I agree with what justin said about how our country is very diverse. But I disagree about how our country is united and as one. Minorities in our country are at a huge disadvantage and I believe that creates a rift in our country as whole. To make our country truly united, we need to close that number of disadvantages for minorities.

Anonymous said...

I agree that self reflection is essential. I think that going on retreats is a good idea, however I think that there does not need to be a set time for one to reflect upon themselves. Like you said, "it's always a good idea to take a step back and assess what makes you" and I fully agree because you have to be aware of what steps in life you have taken so that you can progress with that knowledge/experience.
-Chelsea

Stu said...

I agree with you. People always live lives in a rush, from children to adults. In this assignment, the author got a chance to look back, to thought about the difference between him and other white people. Remember who we are is the root of life.