Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sarah's RR1

William Lutz’s “Weasel Words” opened my eyes to how marketers play on words. Marketers never lie in their advertisements, they just use words with a broad meaning that people want to see such as “helps, low fat, new, eliminates, etc”. It makes me realize that everyone just wants to make money and the products people sell don’t always fulfill the wonders they claim. An example is Febreze. Their slogan is “Febreze is like a breath of fresh air any time because it actually sweeps away those stale and stifling odors and leaves a fresh scent.” When in reality it leaves a fresh scent that overpowers the polluted smell. The slogan doesn’t lie, it just doesn’t tell the full truth.
In my experience I have typically had a good result from my products. Nyquil is a lifesaver for me. Whenever I feel sick and need to get a good night’s sleep it does work and I do get rid of my illness after taking it for a few days. EmergenC on the other hand doesn’t work at all for me, and I find that I get sicker the day after I drink it. I belive that if more people read this article then people would give what they are buying a second thought.

No comments: