Sunday, April 19, 2009

Theme for English B by Langston Hughes

After reading Theme for English B by Langston Hughes, it made me personally reflect on my own life. The author says, “I guess being colored doesn’t make me not like the same things other folks like who are other races (372)” and I feel like throughout my life I have come across instances where I am judged because of who I am. In my middle school I was the minority race (white) in a predominately African American and Hispanic school. I tried out for the basketball team and made it, however everyone around me looked at me because I was white. I felt out of place because it was the first time I had been the minority, however I realized that skill and race did not correspond to one another at all- therefore nobody should judge me because of what I physically looked liked. This example directly relates to what Langston Hughes talked about in his poem, when he talks about being the only black student in his class, and being surrounded my whites. In society, people are quick to stereotype and make judgments on people because of their race. From this poem, I think that the message portrayed is everyone has their own story from their race, gender, etc. that identifies them as an individual, and therefore everyone must share their personal story for others to hear.

-Chelsea Schoenberg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading your response; I agree that each person has their own identity, race and ethnicity that make them original as an individual. I also really like how you brought in a personal perspective to that matter at hand.

Great job!
Courtney Puckett