Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Maya's RR

Marge Piercy’s “A Work of Artifice” is a beautiful piece of writing, but I think it’s relevancy in our society is fading away. Women still have struggles against stereotypes and receiving certain rights, as do men, but it is not nearly at the same magnitude for women as it was just a few decades ago. From Piercy’s perspective I can understand why she wrote this poem. She grew up in a time when women were greatly more restricted to a certain mold and she must have had many experiences of discrimination. Although, I feel like I don’t really see the potency of her poem. It is of course written very well and uses metaphors seamlessly, but because of the much more liberated time I live in, I feel almost not justified in relating to it. It is a rarity for me to feel truly “pruned” or confined to a “pot”. Truthfully, most of the time, I notice oppression against me as woman only when it’s pointed out. There are still many steps that have to be taken for women in society, but the strides that have been made for the gender since the time Marge Piercy grew up in, is vast.

No comments: