Monday, April 20, 2009

Bonsai Trees Aren't One Gender

~by Allison Sheedy

While reading “A Work of Artifice” it is easy to see the parallel between the bonsai and a woman. The obvious interpretation is of how sexism has oppressed women. While this is one reading of the poem, it is not the only possible one. It could also be read as an individual being pruned and shaped by the government as well. I would certainly not argue that this interpretation is more prominent but I think it is more interesting. I have to confess; reading it through a gender lens was kind of boring due to the topic having been done so many times. I suppose I have become desensitized to these kinds of things.

Anyways, I found the poem to be a little more interesting by expanding the identity to that of simply a human instead of just a woman, though I suppose it could be read through a pet’s view as well. Discrimination doesn’t occur just between the sexes, it happens to everyone. Marge Piercy wrote this poem to be about female oppression but it’s just not very provoking that way. Perhaps it’s because the information isn’t anything new or because the poem itself isn’t aggressive. “A Work of Artifice” is not a poorly written poem or lacking in literary devices, it’s just not very original. Please try looking at it through a different lens and tell me if you think it made the work a little more impressive or if it didn’t change anything for you.

2 comments:

Leigh said...

I liked how you chose to go out of the box and think of this poem through a different lens. Also, I definitely agree that since this subject has been brought up many times in class settings, it can lead to a loss in interest. But in my opinion subjects such as this are brought up often because they are important issues in our society. I also sort of disagree that this poem was not provoking, simply because it was not aggressive.I just don't think that aggressiveness is always necessary in order to successfully get your point across, especially in poetry.

Unknown said...

It was obvious that Marge Piercy was writing the poem about the opression of women, but I think you utilized the beauty of writing by putting your own meaning to the words. We as readers don't necessarily have to see a piece of the work the same as the author envisioned it. The addition of different points of views and interpretations is what makes the medium of writing so interesting.