Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mary Saunders
April 1, 2009
Writing 121

Michael Kinsley’s “Weasel Words,” examines a topic that every American is very familiar with, the false claims and gimmicks made by advertisers so prevalent in today’s consumer world. In the article, Kinsley analyzes the different strategies that advertisers use to try to market their product to the consumer as expertly as possible. Advertisers have mastered the art of false promises and gimmicks in order to lure in as many customers as they can. This article outlines the many ways that advertisers are able to persuade the consumer, such as “weasel words,” which are words that appear to be making a claim for a product when in fact they are making no claim at all.
I could identify with this article because I often notice the doublespeak and empty promises found in advertisements I see on TV, the internet, magazines, and billboards. I especially noticed the use of the word “help,” which advertisements use to try and convince the consumer that the product will somehow end or cure their problem, when in fact the word “help” simply means to aid or assist. Therefore, the advertisement seems to make some sort of claim that it will work when in fact it is simply an empty promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree that weasel words are a way that advertisers market their product. You made a very good statement saying, "weasel words are words that appear to be making a claim for a product when in fact they are making no claim at all." I think this is the main point that the article is talking about, as I also alluded to in my writing. Weasel words imply something that is not there, which I believe like you said is the point of the words.

Unknown said...

I was confused by 'Weasel Words' and it's attacks on the advertisers. The word 'help' is not really an empty promise at all. "Clearasil helped rid me of my acne." The ad is only claiming that it's product will assist with a person's acne (for example). I think it'd be a bigger lie if they left the word out and changed the statement to, "Clearasil rid me of my acne." That statement is a bigger promise and will be easily attacked in lawsuits probably less than a day after the ad is shown. The real issue with advertisements is presentation not so much the word choice. I agree that ads are misleading but for different reasons.