Monday, April 20, 2009

RR2 Brian S.

I liked most of what Langston Hughes had to say in his piece titled “Theme for English B”. He starts off for the most part rambling, but he says straight up in the beginning that he is “colored”. It is clear that race is on his mind so right away I got the feeling that he was going to start talking about how discriminated against he is, but he does not say much about this. Instead Hughes talks about how he and his white instructor are one because they are both Americans. I like that he says this because that is what I believe America to be as well. America is not a country composed of millions of people all cast of the same mold, but of individuals of all shapes, sizes, and colors. He goes on to say that often times he does not want to be a part of his instructor, but he is anyways. Racism comes through diversity, but has diversity not enriched America? It has. Racism is an unavoidable side effect of diversity, but this does not make diversity a bad thing. America is a melting pot of culture and from this comes the essence and strength of our nation.

-Brian S.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw this poem in a similar light and I enjoyed it too because of the way Hughes talked about the similarities and connections he shared with his teacher rather than the racial difference. The talk about the white paper and the colored ink was interesting to me because, for me, it symbolized the blend of cultures and races in our country. Like you said, I think the size and diversity of our country is what has made it strong enough for minorities and other opressed groups to be able to fight against racism and able to change.

Carolyn Sheedy