Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Struggling to Turn My QI into an Em

Hey Josh,

I am struggling to turn my question at issue into an enthymeme that makes sense. My question at issue is How are swear words considered profane and offensive? I am also considering the QI How do swear words set the norm for what is socially acceptable in society? I am not sure which one is better, or if I am phrasing it wrong altogether. Do you have any suggestions how it can be phrased into an enythymeme? Thanks!

-Struggling to Turn My Question

Dear STTMQ,

First, phrase your QI as a 'yes-no' question to make sure that your audience (and you) are able to respond to it in a meaningful way (make sure it is interesting and clear enough to trigger a response).

The second one works better in this respect:
Do swear words set the norm for what is socially acceptable in society?
(though socially acceptable and society create a distracting redundancy)

Also, you may want to see if you have something specific in mind when you write "set the norm."

After you've settled on an effective QI:
-determine your stance (do you agree or disagree)
-determine your audience
-review your choices for a shared term
-choose the one that will provide momentum in the trajectory that you want to explore with the essay
-provide your REASON
-complete the Em
-check the UNSTATED ASSUMPTION
-sketch/outline an essay based on the BURDEN OF PROOF (the REASON)
-follow the rest of the steps in the writing packet

Best of luck,

-Josh G.

No comments: