Thursday, May 14, 2009

RR3 Leigh Parker

The Declaration of Independence contains some very strong points and parts that are really inspiring. I would have to say my favorite part is near the end, “…and by authority of the good people of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, that these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be. Free and Independent States; that they are absolved from all allegiance to the British crown…” this line is definitely powerful and helps to persuade the reader. Although there were parts that I don’t agree with or that I can tell were written a very long time ago. For example, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” I do agree that we all deserve the rights of life, liberty, and happiness, but I do not like that it is assumed that everyone believes in a “Creator”. I also find it interesting that the Declaration is claiming that every man is created equal, and deserves these rights, yet the presence of slavery and mistreatment of African-Americans completely contradicts this statement. I also think that along with pointing out everything the King of Britain did wrong, it also might have been more effective if the Declaration mentioned some of what the plans that the “United Colonies” had in the future with their independence. But overall in my opinion, this document is pretty impressive in the way that it argues for our independence and has so much influence on the way we live our lives today. 

1 comment:

Stu said...

Leigh, good point about how the word "creator" is controversial. I liked your post and agree with most of it but do you really think most people, if any, really take inspiration from the declaration? Maybe people a few decades after its creation but now in 2009 I think every generation pretty much expects freedoms and equalities, especially the white class.