Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Declaration of Independence

The Declaration of Independence by Thomas Jefferson portrays a very positive message for the United States. I do not agree however, with the entire passage because I believe it inaccurately addresses some individuals. When Jefferson says, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal…” it makes me reflect upon what I see in society today. Currently in the United States, a man makes more money then a woman in any job and because of this I disagree with this quote. Whenever discrimination occurs, whether it is the color of your skin, or in this case gender, it shows that everyone is not equal. In a county where people preach, and write about equality, I wonder what these people see in their everyday lives. For me, going to the University of Oregon you see how much inequality there is because of the cost of school. If a family is not fortunate to make enough money, they are discriminated from attending the University. Going back to what Jefferson says, I believe there is a huge difference between believing something (that everyone is equal) and actually seeing the reality of it (like wages of a women versus a man).

-Chelsea Schoenberg

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm a little confused but I'm going to assume you mean that your examples show that 'everyone is not treated equally' rather than 'everyone is not equal'. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I liked the point you brought up about the difference between preaching in a document like this and discrimination in everyday life. It is certainly much easier to say something than to go out and do it which I think is an important issue as well. I think the Declaration of Independence is a wonderful document but that we have to make sure to put it into practice rather than just agree with it. I think we're working hard to do a good job at that though and are breaking down barriers as fast as we can.

-Carolyn Sheedy